Carr Lane Manufacturing Co. has an excellent opportunity for a Mechanical Designer/Drafter to work at a nationally recognized manufacturer located in St. Louis, Missouri.
Carr Lane provides a large selection of tooling components, clamps, fixtures and related workholding products for all areas of manufacturing. Based in St. Louis, Missouri, USA, we make tooling items for virtually every industry around the globe. Carr Lane Manufacturing delivers consistently high-quality products and is certified ISO 9001-2015.
Responsible for providing technical support to customers, distributors, Carr Lane companies and associates. Responsible for recommending design and documentation of new products, including all aspects of design verification. Responsible for controlling engineering documents and data for catalog products.
Provide Technical Support to Customers, Primarily by Telephone and Fax:
- Answer customer questions to clarify catalog information.
- Answer customer questions about non-catalog dimensions or specifications.
- Recommend appropriate clamps, locators, etc. for a particular application.
- Propose general fixturing concepts to customers, considering information about their manufacturing processes.
- Design basic fixtures for customers.
- Provide support to Carr Lane Customer Service Representatives and Regional Sales Managers as required.
- Recommend improvements to information in the Carr Lane Catalog based on customer questions and comments.
Design New Products:
- Design new products approved for development by Executive Management, in accordance with the company’s design-control procedures.
- Recommend new products based on input from customers.
- Keep track of customers’ latest tool-design needs and methods, and other new trends in tooling.
- Keep track of competitors’ products, including those from foreign companies.
- Prepare new catalog drawings and table information.
- Provide part models for CAD libraries.
- Design special items to customers’ specifications, as required.
Improve Existing Products:
- Execute, verify and validate approved design changes, in accordance with the company’s design-control procedures.
- Recommend product improvements based on input from customers.
- Identify products in need of quality improvements including improvements in function, appearance, marketing, or packaging.
- Propose new production techniques where appropriate such as investment, casting, forging, adhesive assembly, etc.
- Revise catalog drawings and able information whenever required.
- Revise part models for all CAD libraries whenever required.
Control Engineer Documents and Data for Catalog Items:
- Ensure that only current, correct engineering drawings of catalog items are accessed by drawing users.
- Ensure that all engineering computer data, including bills of material, is correct for all catalog items.
- Create and maintain a cross-reference converting the part numbers of major competitors to Carr Lane’s part numbers.
Carry out any special projects assigned by Executive Management, Chief Engineer, or Senior Engineer.
- Experience in CAD design and engineering drawing (*SolidWorks preferred). Requires 1-2 years basic Mechanical Engineering or similar course work. Requires all-around machining/manufacturing knowledge, including familiarity with tooling/fixturing.
Carr Lane Manufacturing provides a full range of benefits and a great working environment including:
- 100% Employer paid health premiums for the employee (Tobacco users must first complete a smoking cessation program, paid by Carr Lane Manufacturing, to receive 100% paid employee health premium.)
- Optional dental and vision insurance
- Employer paid life insurance premium for the employee
- 401k & Profit Sharing
- PTO includes holidays, vacation, sick days and birthday
Pre-employment drug/alcohol screening required.
Carr Lane is an Equal Opportunity Workplace and an Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
To apply for this position:
Please email your resume to Human Resources. Thank you for your interest in Carr Lane Manufacturing!